Copying a file system w/ tar - symbolic links not copied right.

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed May 10 19:02:33 PDT 2006

Don O'Neil wrote:
> My man says:
>
>  -L number
>  --tape-length number    Change tapes after writing number * 1024 bytes.
>
> Nothing about symbolic links.... Now there is an option --unlink-first and
> --dereference... Both of which don't copy the links, but unlink or copy the
> actual source file.
>
> Don

And again:

 >> What am I doing wrong here, or is my tar broken?

Heh, heh, could be.  Andy is referring to "BSDtar", which
is tar(1) on later releases, and your -L option is from "GNUtar",
which is tar(1) on, IIRC, 4.X and elder, and is now available in
ports as gtar.

As for what's really the problem, I can't say as I can tell.
On my 6.X box, everything works as expected.  For fun, I shelled
into a 4.11 box, and everything works as expected, both my tests
and your example.  Maybe your tar *is* broken.  Or, more likely,
we're both a tad dense ATM.

Kevin Kinsey

--
What foods these morsels be!