6.1_RELEASE Install Problem

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Thu May 11 00:53:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, bc wrote:

> Ceri Davies wrote:
>
>> On 10/5/06 05:03, "bc" <bc3910 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> After make installworld I ran the final run thru of mergemaster and
>>> recived
>>> this error:
>>>
>>> ERROR CODE 64
>>> FATAL ERROR: Cannot 'dc' into /usr/src/etc/ and install files to the
>>> temproot environment.
>>>

>> Did you cut and paste that, or copy it in manually?
>>
>> Ceri
>>
> Now that I am in front of the derver here is the full message (with a few
> lines before) pasted:
>
> install -o root -g wheel -m 640  /dev/null
> /var/tmp/temproot/var/log/sendmail.st
> install -o root -g wheel -m 644  freebsd.cf
> /var/tmp/temproot/etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444  freebsd.submit.cf
> /var/tmp/temproot/etc/mail/submit.cf
> cd /usr/src/etc; install -o root -g wheel -m 644   /var/tmp/temproot/etc/ssh
> usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
>              [-o owner] file1 file2
>      install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
>              [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
>      install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
> *** Error code 64
>
> Stop in /usr/src/etc.
>
> *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot 'cd' to /usr/src/etc and install files to
>     the temproot environment
>
> /usr/src Walnut SuperUser#>

"install" is being run with a blank space where the program name should
be.  That's what it's complaining about.  It does not look like a
directory problem or a permissions problem.
I'd say that something is wrong with a makefile that builds ssh or with
your "make" configuration.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the "make" process to say more than
that, but perhaps if you can specify which platform you're building for
and the contents of /etc/make.conf somebody more knowledgable might be
able to help.

Luke