New freeBSD logo on freebsd.org

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed May 10 08:29:04 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:25:32AM -0400, fbsd wrote:
> Thank you for making my point.
> This should have been announced on all lists.
> Just not the announcement list.

Wrong.  That is exactly what the announcment list is for.

> Changing the logo is really a big thing.

Not really.

> See the outcome of the short sightedness of that decision.

Yeah, we get lots of whining people like yourself wasting bandwidth.

> And why should just the core committers be
> the only ones given a vote.

Since they are the ones doing most of the job, it seems like
a reasonable place to draw the line.

> Most of them are too busy to even have been
> aware this was happening.

Really?

> Many professional logo design people never even knew about
> the contest to redesign the logo because it was not posted
> to the questions list where everyone reads.

Not everyone reads the questions list.  Heck, not even all the
developers do, due to the low signal/noise ratio here.

> What makes you think that the announcement list gets even
> a fraction of the readers the questions list does.

The fact that it is a much more important list to read.
If you only read one freebsd.org mailing list it should be
announce@ since that is where all important announcments are made
(including security advisories.)

> Hell the questinos list gets enought junk post all ready,

Yes, but that does not mean you have to provide even more evidence
of that.

> what's the harm in posting such an inportment message to the
> list to begin with, not doing so makes no sense at all.
>
> Somebody messed up big time and now they have to deal with the
> results of their stupid mistakes.
>
> You core committer people have to break out of this
> private club mentality thing you all adhere to.
>
> The logo effects all users and as such we should have vote in the
> matter.

Bullshit.

> What were you all thinking? This was a bad idea from the get go.
>

> Just because core committer have the ability to write high level
> code
> does not give them the right to thumb your collective noses
> at the rest of us users in the matter of needing a new logo.
>
> In moving to an new legal status by forming the FreeBSD
> foundation us users just look the other way just long as
> the software stays free of cost and no new legal restraints
> are imposed on the software use.
>
> But changing the logo effects all users and sham on you
> self righteous snobs to even think you have the right to
> exclude the user community from the logo decision.
>
> Get off your high horses and serve your users like your suppose to.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that the developers
have any obligations to you.  That is not the case.

> I think the new logo should be shit canned and the whole
> question of replaceing the "beastie" logo brought up for
> a general vote bye all members of all the Freebsd mailing lists.

And I think you should stop whining about the logo and do something
useful instead.

> Your negtave comments are foundless.

Much like your allegations then?