Promise SATA controller / Maxtor drive problems

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue May 9 20:31:36 UTC 2006

Øyvind Skaar wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've got a Promise SATAII 150 TX2plus (pci) controller connected to my
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.
> The drive in question is a Maxtor 6B200M0.

I had 6 Maxtor SATA drives running under FreeBSD 5.2.1 up to 5.4.
Installed on three mail servers. After 6 months and 7 drive swaps I had
my vendor send Seagate drives and all my problems disappeared. Issues
varied from drives just "falling off" to DMA issues, to drives showing
as corrupted and then testing good at the vendor after being returned.

These were Maxtor 6Y080M0 and 6Y160MO drives. Running under onboard SATA
or Highpoint Rocket Raid cards. Systems are SuperMicro, three servers
delivered at the same time, one server was replaced after 3 months but
problems continued until it's drives were replaced as well (the
replacement server came with Maxtor drives installed again).

I tested for cable issues, Goggled for FreebSD issues, updated the
kernel, BIOS changes, drive settings, heat issues, etc. No joy. With no
other changes than an upgrade to Seagate drives the systems have run
without intervention for 11 months now. These are high traffic mail
toasters.

The Maxtor drives were problematic for us from the start, and not even
heavy enough to make good door stops.

DAve

--
This message was checked by forty monkeys and
found to not contain any SPAM whatsoever.

Your monkeys may vary