Upgrading to 6.1 (cvsup)

John Cruz john at cruzweb.net
Tue May 9 17:39:44 UTC 2006

John Nielsen wrote:
> cvsup is definitely the preferred way to upgrade, and is very easy to use,
> especially once you get it set up the first time.
>
> You need to:
>
> 1) Make sure you have cvsup installed
> 	pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
> OR
> 	cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui && make install clean
> (the latter assumes you have a ports tree on your system)
>
> 2) Create a supfile appropriate for your situation (and location).  Here is
> mine:
>
> *default host=cvsup12.freebsd.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
>
> Change the host to a mirror close to you, and change the base to wherever you
> want the cvsup metadata files stored.  Also change the tag to RELENG_6_1 if
> you want the 6.1 branch instead of 6-STABLE.  For more details, see the
> examples in /usr/share/examples/cvsup and the handbook:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> All that the above really says is to put the "RELENG_6" branch of
> the "src-all" collection into /usr (and actually into /usr/src).
>
> 3) Run it
> 	cvsup /path/to/your/supfile
>
> That's it!  In the future, you just have to repeat step 3 to get the latest
> sources from your selected CVS branch.  If you want to move to a different
> branch in the future (6-STABLE or 6.2 when that happens), it's just a matter
> of changing the tag in your supfile.
>
> Once you have the sources, you have to build and reinstall your kernel and
> world to actually update your system, but that's covered pretty well in the
> handbook and elsewhere.
>
> JN
Aah, thank you! I just need to learn what all that stuff means in the
supfile but it's an example I can work with. So that will over-write
everything in /usr/src with the new versions then? I'll start the
download now, and tomorrow when I get my new server MoBo i'll to the
build world thing and should be all set. gracias.
-John