jails or chroot?

Philippe Lang philippe.lang at attiksystem.ch
Tue May 9 15:22:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

Sure, jails require more work regarding administration. Ports are not the
biggest problem I think, it's the easy part. The problem is when you have to
update the world. But even here, with a good script, it's not such a
nightmare.

Maybe all you need is Michael's solution. But take into account that with
jails, you have a great flexibility regarding the application you install
for a particular client. And all the security that a jail system can offer,
plus a fantastic way of managing your backups.

I personally run a jail based VPS server, based on FreeBSD 6.0, with 13
jails at the moment. It's a dual xeon, with 4GB RAM, and RAID 5 SCSI HDs. I
have 355 MB RAM active, 1525 inactive and 1679 MB RAM are free. I intend to
run a maximum of 50 jails on this server. And until now, nothing seems to
oppose to my plans.

Beware of one thing with jails, though: a bug in FreeBSD does not permit a
clean shutdown of jails. But tust me: you never need to!

Hope this helps, and keep us informed of your choice.

Philippe Lang