jails or chroot?

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Tue May 9 12:24:43 UTC 2006

I'll try to be more explicit on my requirements.  I'm not worried
about mail.  I'm mostly worried about web.  Each client has a web site
with one or more domains.  I currently offer them
apache+php+mysql+mod_perl+mod_ssl.  One of them needs java server
pages, tomcat I think.  Everyone gets access to their own logs and to
geolizer (webalizer).  Some clients would like shell access.  Most
clients write their web site using ftp.  Certain ones need also the MS
Front Page Extensions.  Some clients want an ftp upload area.  Ssl
poses a special problem in that I need to allocate an ip address for
those who have their own ssl certificate.  It's pretty much all
standard stuff.

But yes, I totally agree with you, it is an administration nightmare
to set up separate jails and keep track of which has which version of
what and so on.  There must be an easier way to do this.  Some of you
folks who run hosting sites, how do you manage large numbers of
clients?

Michael Grant