could not determine fs type - fsck

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Tue May 9 08:18:25 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:30:54PM +0200, Victor Lundwall wrote:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > I replaced a disk that had trouble with fsck in a 5.3 system and connected it
> > to a 5.2.1 system for further examinaton.
> >
> > starting fsck /dev/ad3 gave me an error: could not determine file system type.
> >
> > Had there been some change in FS right between FreeBSD 5.2 and 5.3 such that
> > either systems couldn't recognize each others FSs?
>
> Don't you haft to have a specific partition and slice? So it should be
> something like fsck_ufs /dev/ad3s1a? Else way try
> fsck_ufs /dev/ad3.

I think I tried fsck -t UFS /dev/ad3 already (not sure though, will be in
the office later in the afternoon and try then). I believe you can also do a

newfs /dev/ad1

instead of

newfs /dev/ad1s1

which may result in a different disk layout. I'm also not sure about that.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_kukulies.org