setting up pppoe

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Tue May 9 01:05:16 UTC 2006

People,

I found this section in the handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

and it mentions a ppp.conf file like so

default:
  set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0

name_of_service_provider:
  set device PPPoE:xl1 # replace xl1 with your Ethernet device
  set authname YOURLOGINNAME
  set authkey YOURPASSWORD
  set dial
  set login
  add default HISADDR

I'm confused. Why would I set an ifaddr when it's a PPPoE connection? I don't
know what IP I'm going to be assigned yet.

What is ifaddr for?

This is also surprising

[msoulier at kanga ~]$ man ppp.conf
No manual entry for ppp.conf

Seems to be in ppp(8) though.

I'm just looking to use a PPPoE connection with my ISP.

Thanks,
Mike

direction." --Albert Einstein