freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Mon May 8 17:27:04 UTC 2006

Marty Landman wrote:
> I've just reinstalled FBSD 4.8 from the mini-iso on an old box (PII-133
> w/ 3
> GB on two hd's). The problem I'm running into is that my ports are looking
> for old, outdated packages, I think.
>
> So going from
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.htmltried
>
> to install cvsup to do a port upgrade:
>
> mrwilhelm# pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
> Error: FTP Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tgz:
>
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> pkg_add: unable to fetch '
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tgz'
>
> by URL
> mrwilhelm#
>
> Same problem though, how can I tell my system where to get access to
> the 4.8stuff?

I don't think there is any /easy/ way for you to continue using 4.8,
which is not officially supported. If you install 4.11 you will have
better luck with ports and packages (for as long as 4.11 is
supported, anyway... the 4.x line is still widely used, but is EOL
except for security updates).

Someone may be able to provide you with a 4.8 workaround for a cvsup
package (OK, I see someone did already!), but that may only be the
beginning of a long train of workarounds you'd need. Using 4.11 will
provide somewhat more of a panacea.

If you have enough RAM, go ahead and install 5.4 or 6.0 (or soon
enough, 6.1).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348