named / bind on 6.1RC2

Jim Pazarena fquest at ccstores.com
Sun May 7 21:06:43 UTC 2006

something seems to have changed with named on 6.1 compared to 6.0

using defaults named cannot create the /var/run/named.pid file.
after changing permissions of /var/run to 777, THEN named runs and
creates a named.pid of: bind:wheel

upon reading I see a "new" rc.conf variable ->  named_uid
I added named_uid="0" , changed /var/run back to defaults 755 ,
rebooted and named doesn't even attempt to run (nothing in the
log file).

I don't need a jail environment, therefore have
named_chrootdir=""  in my rc.conf

can someone please advise where I am going wrong? on 6.0 it just 'works'

Thanks.