ULE Scheduler and overall performance on 6.x - Wow

Jonathan Horne jhorne at dfwlp.com
Sun May 7 15:41:34 UTC 2006

i remember when i first started using freebsd about 2 months ago, the first
kernel i built, i did the ULE (at some articles recommendataion).  but, ive
not done it since.  i guess i have been noticing a bit of lag on my system
(amd 1800mhz 512rdram, u160 scsi raid0), but nothing unacceptable.

however, since i didnt have a problem with my first kernel that i did, and
your positive response, i decided to go ahead and change out the specified
scheduler in my kernconf, and let 'er rip.

is your system a desktop?  were your prevously running the same desktop
configuration on the same box, with the 4BSD?  is the ULE scheduler suited
for a server setup as well (my server is also SMP), or is this something that
should be kept to a desktop?

thanks,
jonathan horne