GUI mail client recommendations ...

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun May 7 13:23:11 UTC 2006

On Sunday 07 May 2006 03:29, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2006, Ian Moore wrote:
> > On Sunday 07 May 2006 09:10, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> I've been using pine *forever* now and am finding it really hard to find
> >> a good GUI to replace it :(  Tried kmail, didn't like it ...
> >>
> >> Off the top of my head, the only thing(s) it needs to do is:
> >>
> >> multiple identities
> >> IMAP
> >> PGP
> >>
> >> As much as I hate admitting doing things under Windows, I have used
> >> Eudora in the past and like its interface, but, alas, there is no Eudora
> >> for Unix
> >
> > I use kmail (part of kde) which is also very nice and will do all the
> > above.
>
> I tried it, and was turned off very question ... my first beef ... I
> couldn't seem to select multiple messags in the thread window to do a mass
> operation on it ... for instance, in eudora, I could do 'shift-<up/dn>' to
> highlight several articles ... under kmail, the up/dn arrow scrolls the
> bottom message window ;(

As you've noticed the up and down keys are already used for scrolling in the
content widget.  Instead use shift or ctrl and the left mouse button instead
or the + and - keys (go to latter/next unread message) or the arrow-left and
arrow-right keys (go to latter/next message). See "Keyboard Shortcuts" in the
KMail handbook which is the obvious place to look ;-)

Finally, most core KDE apps have a settings -> shortcuts menu entry so you can
even change the defaults. Some people call this bloat.

Dan