wlan on lowend laptop

Lars Udo lars.udo at gmail.com
Sun May 7 09:19:46 UTC 2006

i have a litlle problem with all these wires running here and there in my
flat, and as i got a woman living here with me.. i cant stand her
complaining about those ugly wires allover the house. One beautiful day, i
decided to get involved with wlan. But this one linux-dude said that my
p233mmx/64ram couldnt run wlan. I dont know if he ment WAP/WEP-encryption as
he couldnt be any spesific and that got me thinking if he even knows
anything.

My setup these days is following: 1Ghz/256ddr (Desktop mahcine, with ssh
Xforwarding) via 10Mbit LAN,
and my laptop just happens to get a lot faster when i run all apps on that
desktop-pc.

My desktop is FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE and laptop has NetBSD 3.0 with standalone
X & few apps just to survive if
my desktop-pc is down. I'm planning to change into FreeNX if it gives any
advantage, but that would require to replace my laptop with freebsd as it is
my favorite OS that has FreeNX client.

Is it possible to keep up with this setup with changin all the wires with
wireless-future. If WAP/WEP is the problem, couldn i just leave it out and
use IPsec, or ssh instead? Or is WAP/WEP mandatory, or is it just enough if
i set tight firewall-rules on both ends of wlan with IPsec, so no one could
intrude into my system.

If all goes well, my next sted would be to include one windows-pc also.. and
that would need firewall for local wlan-crackers but somehow i dont believe
that as a minor threat :)

Lasse