Software RAID guidance

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Thu May 4 23:49:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 00:37 +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
> >I have an old NT4 PIII here that has a pair Adaptec Array1000 Family
> >controllers with 2 pairs of identical drives on one of them (2 IBM 9GB
> >and 2 Seagate 35GB). From what I googled, *nix does not support the
> >controller, so I have removed the RAID arrays and loaded FreeBSD 6.0
> >onto the two IBM drives. Now, I wanted to mirror the other two for data
> >and looking for guidance as to whether it is first of all suited for
> >software RAID and if so, CCD or vinum. I am contemplating vinum because
> >the handbook mentions CCD is when cost is the important factor and for
> >me, is reliability. What would someone suggest? If vinum, one thing I
> >don't quite understand is do I create the partitions to be used in the
> >device? There doesn't seem to be a man for gvinum and the link to it in
> >the handbook section 19.6.1 is broken.
> >

> Just to give you another option.  You can support RAID1 using atacontrol
> to just make two disk into a RAID.

Yes, I saw mention of atacontrol somewhere in the handbook, the drives
all SCSI. It seems atacontrol only addresses IDE? Excuse my ignorance on
the subject of ATA vs SCSI :/

files# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master: acd0 <CD-ROM 50X/10> ATA/ATAPI revision 0
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present