Problem with Broadcomm NIC - not recognized

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu May 4 18:27:46 UTC 2006

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>

>>> It's working fine since I installed 6.1.  The odd thing is, I
>>> thought I needed the bce driver, but the 6.1 install detected the
>>> NIC and used the bge driver.  That driver is available in 6.0 as
>>> well, yet it didn't work in that install.
>>

>> Why is this confusing?  Drivers get updated to cover newer versions
>> of chips which didn't exist or weren't available to the developer
>> when originally written.  If you really care then check out the CVS
>> history for your driver from the FreeBSD site (developer / CVS
>> Repository / web interface).
>>
> If I understand what you're saying, you're saying that the driver only
> gets updated for the latest OS?  That seems a bit absurd to me.
> Wouldn't the bge driver be the same for every OS version that it's
> available for?

Seems absurd to you; seems perfectly understandable to me.  There is no
such thing as "the bge driver".  There are numerous revisions of a bge
driver and each OS version has it's own revision that was current when
the OS was released.  That's what a new OS version is: updated drivers
and core utilities.

--Alex