which graphics card?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu May 4 17:12:49 UTC 2006

Kep Woof wrote:

> i need to have direct rendering and dual head dvi.  in 2006, decent 3d
> performance doesn't seem unreasonable, even if it is just to run a
> swanky screen saver.  i've got an xfx geforce 6800GT sitting around
> here that i'd like to use, but it seems this is currently impossible
> on amd64.  it seems like a huge waste to run the i386 version on an
> amd64 machine,

I can't comment on the difference because I didn't bother with amd64 for
the very reasons you mention.  But, for me, A8V plus single core AMD
4000 + 6800GT is plain bloody fast.  Most regular work things I run on
it go faster than a single CPU 2.8Ghz Dell 2850, and though you can beat
a 6800GT these days, the only way to really *trounce* it is to run two
graphics cards with SLI and I'm not sure FreeBSD supports that yet.
It'll certainly run your screen saver :-)  Runs cool too.

There might be better mobos than an A8V these days - I got mine a year
ago - but pretty much everything on it works.  COM2 needs some kind of
expansion but I only needed one.

You can always switch to amd64 if NVidia ever do provide drivers.  You
could also "me too" on their message boards which might make some tiny
difference.

--Alex