ports net-snmp to support 64-bit snmp counter

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed May 3 17:54:32 UTC 2006

In the last episode (May 04), adrian kok said:
> Dear Nelson
>
> Thank you for your mail
>
> Do you know and have experience how to solve this
> Gigabit speed, net-snmp, and overflows issue?
>
> http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/mrtg/msg30587.html

What I do instead of querying the servers directly, is query the switch
ports they are plugged into.  I use Cisco and HP switches and they have
supported 64-bit SNMP counters for years.  For servers attached to
unmanaged switches, I poll their 32-bit counters every minute and
accept that I can't graph very high traffic rates.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com