nubie question - Ports - Ruby 1.8.4

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue May 2 17:28:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:03:54PM -0400, Bakki Kudva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am learning FreeBSD by installing it on my laptop. I would like to
> install Ruby 1.8.4 which is listed at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ as
> follows:
> ruby-1.8.4_6,1
>    An object-oriented interpreted scripting language
>    Long description | Sources | Main Web Site
>    Maintained by: ports at FreeBSD.org
>    Also listed in: Ruby, Ipv6
>
> However when I go to /usr/ports/lang/  (I installed ports off the ftp
> site) the version I see there is 1.8.2. How do I install the later
> version? Thanks for your help.

You should start by reading
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

I would suggest that probably the easiest method for updating your ports
tree is the Portsnap approach.  Assuming you are using 6.*, it is part
of your base system.

Read portsnap(8) for details of how to use it.  Then, when your ports
tree is up to date, you will find that Ruby 1.8.4 is available.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \