public samba share annoyingly asking for password

Vittorio vdemart1 at tin.it
Tue May 2 14:58:39 UTC 2006

Context: pentium 4, freebsd 6.0, samba 3.0.22,
6 windows 2000, NT,XP
samba clients

Dear friends,

I'm writing to this ML because, googling
the net on the subject reported below,  it seems that samba works
slightly differently according to the platform in which it is installed
(I read of differences of behaviour between Fedora and Debian samba
installations, or even between FC1 and FC2 installations).

I setup a
samba server connected to a very large *** original MS-windows LAN ***
with the following smb.conf file. The aim is to put in a public read-
only share all the programs we need to share.

Now, the problem is that
at boot time - after logging in the MS-windows client -  windows 2000
or NT clients present the user with a pop-up window asking for a
password to connect to the public share (I created the 'pcguest'
freebsd user as a passwordless user and to 'smbpasswd pcguest' I didn't
provide any password at all!). Clicking on OK the share is immediatedly
connected and it all works. Nonetheless the pop-up window asking for a
password is somewhat disturbing.
By the way, windows XP clients don't
seem to suffer from the same problem. They connect to the share
smoothly, without asking anything as expected!

Any idea to solve the
problem?

Ciao
Vittorio

###smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = mygroup
server string = FreeBSD
map to guest = Bad User
passdb backend = tdbsam
security = user
guest account = pcguest
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%
load printers = No
preferred master = No
local master = No
domain
master = No
dns proxy = No
wins server = 10.100.10.38, 10.100.10.21
hosts allow = 10.100.

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only =