dd issues

Jim Stapleton stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 11:44:09 UTC 2006

> That doesn't sound like a backup to me.  dd isn't a backup program,
> and CDs are not normally things you back up.

A backup is just a copy of the data on a different media than the
source (in this case, a hard drive). People back up CDs alll the time,
in case they get scratched or damaged, and they don't want to have to
deal with finding/obtaining replacements. In some cases, the
replacements aren't even possible, such as if the distributing company
went out of business.

> Use the conv=sync
> operation to transfer the last incomplete block correctly.

Ahh, that will be useful. Thank you.