dd issues

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 2 01:26:47 UTC 2006

On Monday,  1 May 2006 at 21:21:26 -0400, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Without more background in what you're trying to do (you don't even
>> say what backup program or what medium you're trying to back up to),
>> or what your concerns are, it's difficult to answer this question.
>> There are no specific issues with block size on most archivers, but in
>> general large block sizes (64 kB or larger) will give better
>> performance.
>
> program is dd, source medium is CD, destination medium is hard
> drive.

That doesn't sound like a backup to me.  dd isn't a backup program,
and CDs are not normally things you back up.  But they have a sector
size of 2 kB, so you will need to transfer in multiples of 2 kB.  As I
said above, 64 kB or larger is a good idea.  Use the conv=sync
operation to transfer the last incomplete block correctly.

Greg