dd issues

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 2 00:04:11 UTC 2006

On Monday,  1 May 2006 at 19:44:00 -0400, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> I'm trying to back up some of my software, and I'm having some
> problems, I found something in the archives specifying the need to set
> a block size of 2k or greater. This makes a backup (I've not tested it
> yet).
>
> My questions are:
> (1) Why does this work?

Why shouldn't it?

> (2) Is it possible that not using the default/found block size will
> cause issues?

Yes.

Without more background in what you're trying to do (you don't even
say what backup program or what medium you're trying to back up to),
or what your concerns are, it's difficult to answer this question.
There are no specific issues with block size on most archivers, but in
general large block sizes (64 kB or larger) will give better
performance.

Greg