Boot manager beep (revisited)

Parv parv at pair.com
Mon May 1 08:04:02 UTC 2006

in message <20060501063415.GA90093 at gothmog.pc>,
wrote Giorgos Keramidas thusly...

> On 2006-05-01 02:05, Parv <parv at pair.com> wrote:
> > Eric Anderson wrote:
> > >This thread:
> > >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-December/020572.html
> >
> > I hand edited the file (/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.S)
> > based on the given patch; did building|installing of world &
> > kernel; on reboot of Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop, there still
> > was a beep.
>
> Rebuilding everything is hardly worth it in this case, but you
> did what you considered the safest thing, so that's ok :)

Agree with you there.  I think i did try making/installing only this
particular piece, but failed to do anything on reboot, so i thought
"what the hell, just build|install everything".

But then ...

> > So the patch did not work for me.  Did i miss something?
>
> Yes.  You missed installing the new boot0 block on your MBR.
>
> See my other response in this thread about the steps you have to
> take to rebuild a new /boot/boot0 block and install it with
> boot0cfg on the MBR of your disk :-)

Oooh, yes indeed, I missed the most crucial step there.  No wonder
even a major world building did nothing.  Thanks much.

  - Parv