pkg_add -r openoffice Error: FTP Unable to get ftp:

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Mon May 1 03:04:35 UTC 2006

Installing the openoffice port is truly an odyssey and one I did not
successfully complete. Following the advise earlier in this thread, I abandoned
that effort and installed the package. The names for pkg_add are a mystery to me
as well. In an effort to get the correct name I walked the trees on
ftp.FreeBSD.org and ftp2.FreeBSD.org not finding a package on either.

   Name (ftp2.FreeBSD.org:doug): anonymous
   331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
   Password:
   230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
   Remote system type is UNIX.
   Using binary mode to transfer files.
   ftp> cd pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/
   250 CWD command successful.
   ftp> ls openoffice*
   229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||51506|)
   150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
   ftpd: openoffice*: No such file or directory
   226 Transfer complete.
   ftp> ls | grep open
   usage: ls [remote-path [local-file]]
   ftp> ls openoffice.org
   229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||55255|)
   150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
   ftpd: openoffice.org: No such file or directory
   226 Transfer complete.

So I downloaded the package linked to by the ports page

   pkg_add openoffice.org-2.0.2.tbz
   pkg_add: could not find package linc-1.0.3_5 !
   pkg_add: could not find package howl-1.0.0_1 !
   pkg_add: could not find package ORBit2-2.12.5_2 !
   pkg_add: could not find package libbonobo-2.10.1_3 !
   pkg_add: could not find package gnomemimedata-2.4.2 !
   pkg_add: could not find package gconf2-2.12.1_1 !
   pkg_add: could not find package gnomevfs2-2.12.2_2 !

   pkg_add -r openoffice.org-2.0.2.tbz
   Error: FTP Unable to get
   ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/openoffice.org-2.0.2.tbz:
   File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
   pkg_add: unable to fetch
   'ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/openoffice.org-2.0.2.tbz'
   by URL

An answer is fairly easy but tedious, doing pkg_add on each of the above
requirements. I would hope I missed something (easy?) here. If openoffice wants
to supplant MS Office, or in my case koffice, a somewhat less esoteric install
is required I think.

After trying the openoffice.org-1.1 port, registering a JDK, installing same,
and eventually, 3 hours later on my 1.8GHz system with 1GB memory, the build
failed and happily I found this thread.

The end result of all this is:

   openoffice.org
   javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
   I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"

In testing so far, I can not see what I am missing and I like this much better
than koffice.  However I found the install to beyond using vi, more like using
ed. I think I am going to like OOo a lot and wish the project much success. The
install seems a work in progress.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com