Zero Copy, FreeBSD and Linus Torvalds opinion

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon May 1 00:07:15 UTC 2006

From: "Scott Long" <scottl at samsco.org>

> Iantcho Vassilev wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>

>> in bsdnews.com i found this link http://kerneltrap.org/node/6506 and
>> particulary this:
>>
>> "I claim that Mach people (and apparently FreeBSD) are incompetent idiots.
>> Playing games with VM is bad. memory copies are _also_ bad, but quite
>> frankly, memory copies often have _less_ downside than VM games, and bigger
>> caches will only continue to drive that point home."
>>

>> What do you think about it?
>
> I claim that Linus is an attention whore.  How about that?

Whether or not he is makes no difference. The context of that statement
involves somebody asking why Linux does not have Zero Copy when BSD does.

It seems, correctly or not, he believes the Mach people DO use Zero
Copy still and given the question "(and apparently FreeBSD)" fit the
answer. It's been observed here that Linus got it wrong about FreeBSD
using Zero Copy even though it is (apparently from this discussion)
still available. But then, it's not worth his time to actually track
what FreeBSD is doing. He's concentrating on Linux, which makes sense.
I'd not expect the equivalent FreeBSD people to be up on all the
nuances of Linux, either.

So rather than trying to make a huge flame war about this how about you
just drop it. It makes no difference to the world here if Linus IS an
attention whore or not. He's not HERE and he's not DEMANDING attention
from anyone here. So let's just drop it rather than be drips about it.

{^_^}   Joanne