Can FreeBSD safely use a (un-booted from) drive that is invisible to the BIOS?

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Fri Mar 31 20:56:21 UTC 2006

You have 2 problems here. bios not seeing the HD and
the old FBSD HD geometry WARNING.

For the FBSD HD geometry WARNING you can just let FBSD use what
ever it thinks it should be. This is not a problem.

Your bios problem is most likely a hardware config thing.

If the 2 HDs are on the same ribbon are the HD jumpers set
correctly, (master/slave for right nipple on the ribbon or both cs
for cable select)

Do you have a ata type cdrom drive on the ribbon?
Same thing about jumpers here to.