Thunderbird and Firefox dead after portupgrade

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 20:24:55 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Micah <micahjon at ywave.com> wrote:
> Wee-Sern Soo wrote:
> > http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.0.1.html#issues
> >
> > It's a known issue.  Need to run as privileged user on all platforms,
> > the first time.
> >

> > Yuan Jue wrote the following on 31/03/2006 4:46 PM:

> >> works for me too. many thanks :)
> >>

> A workaround that the port could use is given on that page....
>
> "If Firefox 1.5.0.1 is installed on a multi-user system in a location
> which is not writable by users, Firefox must be run once by a privileged
> user. If this is not desirable, an empty file must be created in the
> following directory:
> <install-directory>/extensions/talkback at mozilla.org/chrome.manifest"

This sort of bizzare need to elevate general awareness
and spiritual enlightenment in the browser using
public is what drove me away from winders in the
first place.  I am not ranting against FreeBSD here.
mozilla/firefox/netscape need to pull their collective
heads out and build something that browses an interweb,
not a file-installing-platform for your base system.