Reprocessing sendmail failed messages

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 19:24:20 UTC 2006

--- Tim Traver <tt-list at simplenet.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> ok, I know this isn't the right list, but I've
> already tried the
> sendmail group, and no response, so I'm hoping that
> there might be some
> sendmail gurus on this list that can help me...
>
> After a temporary DNS outage, several machines that
> we run have email
> messages on them that sendmail attempted to relay to
> our mail
> cluster, but failed because they could not find the
> host name of the
> server they were relaying to.
>
> So, now, I have hundreds of messages in the
> clientmqueue directory that
> are marked as having permanent fatal errors. The top
> of the d file
> looks like this :
>
>    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
> errors -----
> i... at xxxxxxx.com
>     (reason: 550 Host unknown)

> 550 5.1.2 i... at xxxxxxxxx.com... Host unknown (Name
> server:
> xxxx.xxxxxxxx.com: host not found)
>
> I see that there are many of these message that are
> important, and
> want to save and send them.
>
> Is there a way to get sendmail to re-attempt to send
> these messages ? I
> think it just ignores them right now because of
> those lines.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Tim.

Hey there Tim,

Found this with google.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-June/049850.html

A Dr Matthew had this answer (read full text to see
what's up but here's a snippet)

If you end up with a load of messages stuck in
/var/spool/clientmqueue, you've got a similar problem
with not running
a MSP queue daemon.  The case is exactly analogous,
except that the
sendmail flags are in
/var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid and should
read:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q30m

and you need to set 'sendmail_msp_queue_flags' in
/etc/rc.conf to
override them.

---------

Hope that helps.