Best way to print photos

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Fri Mar 31 17:16:03 UTC 2006

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <54db43990603310652q1e40c699kd4f48702f27f33ab at mail.gmail.com>
>             "Bob Johnson" <fbsdlists at gmail.com> writes:
> : On 3/31/06, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> : > Let us suppose that I have a HP DeskJet 5850 that I can talk to via
> : > CUPS.  I can print test pages w/o any problem.
> : >
> : > What are my options to print photos and what kind of quality can I
> : > expect relative to Windows?
> : >
> :
> : According to http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_5850,
> : HP's HPIJS driver gives "excellent" photo quality with HP printers.
> : One reviewer says that the quality at high resolution isn't quite as
> : good as Windows, but it isn't clear whether that means high-resolution
> : "normal" mode, or photo mode, or both.
> :
> : ports/print/foomatic-db-hpijs and  /ports/print/hpijs
>
> Bob,
>
> Thanks for the tips.  I have these ports installed, but am tripping
> over something stupidly basic: what converts the pict0001.jpg into
> something that can be fed to the hpijs driver that will print?
>
> Warner

I use the gimp for that (graphics/gimp).  The kde programs Krita, Kview,
and KolourPaintAlso, as well as the gtk program gqview, can all print
too.  I can't vouch for their usefulness since I've never used them for
printing.

You might also try browsing http://www.freebsd.org/ports/graphics.html
to see if there's something there that sounds better.

HTH,
Micah