Best way to print photos

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Mar 31 16:37:54 UTC 2006

In message: <54db43990603310652q1e40c699kd4f48702f27f33ab at mail.gmail.com>
            "Bob Johnson" <fbsdlists at gmail.com> writes:
: On 3/31/06, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > Let us suppose that I have a HP DeskJet 5850 that I can talk to via
: > CUPS.  I can print test pages w/o any problem.
: >
: > What are my options to print photos and what kind of quality can I
: > expect relative to Windows?
: >
:
: According to http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_5850,
: HP's HPIJS driver gives "excellent" photo quality with HP printers.
: One reviewer says that the quality at high resolution isn't quite as
: good as Windows, but it isn't clear whether that means high-resolution
: "normal" mode, or photo mode, or both.
:
: ports/print/foomatic-db-hpijs and  /ports/print/hpijs

Bob,

Thanks for the tips.  I have these ports installed, but am tripping
over something stupidly basic: what converts the pict0001.jpg into
something that can be fed to the hpijs driver that will print?

Warner