repeated ssh login attempts/failure/break-in attempts from kiddy script

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Fri Mar 31 13:42:11 UTC 2006

Noted recently in auth.log, a string of connection attempts repeated/failed over
and over from one host - looks like a script someone's running, tries all kinds
of various usernames, etc... attempts like 100-200 logins, fails and goes away.

Few hours go by, and another such attempt, from a different IP comes in. If I'm
here and just happen to notice them - simple ipfw add deny... does the trick,
but is there not a way to limit the login attempts for a certain period of time?

ie: after 4 failed attempts from IP _BLANK_ in less than _BLANK_ minutes, deny
all attempts and drop connection from said IP... possible?

Any suggestions/ideas? Thus far, no one has managed to login (there are only
three accounts which even have a shell or can login via ssh... but still not the
point). I'd just like to get rid of the problem and save my auth.log file for
perhaps something more useful ;)

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com