ipfw secure setup for ssh bruteforcers

nawcom nawcom at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 13:19:13 UTC 2006

I have a pretty good setup with ipfw, and theres always dickheads constantly
trying to get in - mostly through
old microsoft and ssh1/2 exploits with certain usernames and passwords. I
pretty much add their ip to a protected ban list (after 5 tries) which bans
them from the entire server.

>From any professionals, what is the most effective technique that i should
use to take care of these kiddies
other than a complete ban? Is my technique good or is it oversecure? An
admin said that doing this can be bad, especially when
the kiddy is connected to a large network like a company or university; I
may block other people who aren't guilty of the act. (which makes sense)

I use the up do date ssh so any exploits are
either patched up or will be patched when they're discovered, so holes in
the program shouldn't be in issue.

any replies would be wonderful,
Thanks,
Ben