Apache config question

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Mar 29 15:31:51 UTC 2006

Darryl Hoar wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a Freebsd 6.0-Release system that I just
> installed.  I have installed Apache 1.3.33 from the
> ports system.
>
> I can see the index.html file when I point my browser
> to the server.  What I can't do is :
>
> browse to : http://server/cgi-bin/cscripts/myscript.cgi
>
> I get a 404 Not found.
> The requested URL /cgi-bin/myscript.cgi was not found
> on this server.
>
> The file myscript.cgi is located in the /usr/local/www/cgi-bin
> directory.  I verified this.
>
> I have added:
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/cscripts">
> deny from all
> Options ExecCGI
> AllowOverride AuthConfig
> Order deny,allow
> </Directory>
>
> to the http.conf file.
> I did /usr/local/sbin/apachectl stop
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start.
>
> of course /usr/local/sbin/apachectl configtest says the config file is OK.
>
> What am I missing here ?
>
> thanks,
> Darryl

First, and foremost - check the Apache error log, and make sure it's looking
where you expect it to. You might find a line saying "File not found:
/usr/some/where/you/didnot/expect/cgi-bin" ... next, check the permissions of
the sub-dir you created in cgi-bin, and lastly, the permissions of the cgi-bin
itself, both should be world read/executable.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.