"Blob" and FreeBSD

Michael Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:00:34 UTC 2006

On Mar 29, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Adam Stroud wrote:

> I have been using both Open and Free BSD for a few years.  Here is
> a Quick question about FreeBSD and the use of third party closed
> source binary drivers (known as "blob" to the OpenBSD community).
> I was just doing some reading on the OpenBSD website about their
> views on third closed source drivers (they are completely against
> them).  Are the FreeBSD developers/community also against the use
> of closed drivers? Are these type of drivers currently being used
> in FreeBSD?  Any comments/pointers to relevant information would be
> greatly appreciated.

Actually I use FreeBSD at home because it allows be to use an Nvidia
"blob". Why? Because my video card cost me 500 bucks and I want to be
able to
use it's hardware acceleration. It's frivolous, but it's too late for
me... I spent the money and I want to use it... and I *don't* want to
be forced to use windows.
Is my next box going to force me to use blobs? Nah. I'm going to
build one that will allow me to enjoy it to it's full potential
without having to worry about
proprietary drivers at all...

Mike