Incorrect inline documentation in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Mar 29 13:49:41 UTC 2006

Spil Oss wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Spent a lot of time trying to get portupgrade to install phpbb in the
>directory I want.
>
>Tried a lot of things, but only when I found out that ports_glob does
>NOT return anything on 'www/phpbb-*' I could fix it.
>
>The inline documentation in pkgtools.conf lead me to believe I had to add
>   MAKE_ARGS = {
>     'www/phpbb-*' => 'WWWDOCROOT',
>   }
>to my pkgtools.conf file to add it.
>[...]
>  # e.g.:
>  #   MAKE_ARGS = {
>  #     'databases/mysql323-*' => 'WITH_CHARSET=ujis',
>  #     'ruby18-*' => 'RUBY_VER=1.8',
>  #     'ruby16-*' => 'RUBY_VER=1.6',
>  #   }

The short answer is that you want either 'www/phpbb' or 'phpbb-*'

The 'directory/package' form matches against the directory structure
under /usr/ports.  The directory you are after is 'www/phpbb'.

The form without the directory structure matches against the installed
version of the package (I'm not sure how it finds it if the package
isn't installed, but I believe it does).

You are probably being mislead by the "databases/mysql323-*" example,
as, at first glance, it looks like it is wildcarding against a version
number, like the following ruby examples, but it isn't.  If you look
under /usr/ports, you will find directories like
"databases/mysql323-server" and "databases/mysql323-client" and it is
those directory names that the wildcard pertains to.

I prefer the directory form, myself, because it tells me immediately
where I can find the package if I want to read the Makefile to find any
new or interesting knobs.

Having said that, I have had occasional trouble in the past with
portupgrade refusing to recognise a directory in this format.
Specifically, I could not, for love nor money, get it to recognise
"www/apache20" and went with "apache-2*" instead.  I have no idea if
this was a portupgrade problem or something obvious I was missing; if it
was a problem it might have been fixed by now.

When building with portupgrade, you can clearly see when options are
picked up.  Try re-installing a package for which you set knobs, and
watch the output.  For any new items I add, I always check the output
carefully first time in case I made a typo or other snafu.

--Alex