Why are so many people using 4.x?

Vaaf vaaf at broadpark.no
Wed Mar 29 12:17:36 UTC 2006

At 22:34 28.03.2006, Joseph Vella wrote:
>I notice a lot of references to version 4.x.  Is there any
>overwhelming reason
>why its use seems to be still popular.  I'm wanting to set up a server (just
>for play) on my home network using a PII machine.  Am I better off using an
>older version for such old equipment?  If so, do any particular versions
>stand out?

FreeBSD, and UNIX for that matter, is based off 30-year-old concepts.
Noboy can deny this. That being said, you can compare the development
of FreeBSD to building a skyscraper on shallow grounds. Naturally, the more
you build the more building is likely to collapse. This is now the case with
the old FreeBSD (in which a couple of smart guys decided to savior into
DragonFly) versus the new FreeBSD. I think the same thing is happening
with Windows versus Vista. As OS development progresses, this little
theory of mine will become more and more obvious. If anyone on this list can
contribute with facts and observations to strenghten this theory, I would
really appreciate it.

Thank you all,
Vaaf