newsyslog: nonexistent time for 'at' value

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Mar 29 07:18:29 UTC 2006

In the last episode (Mar 29), Rob W. said:
> newsyslog: nonexistent time for 'at' value:
> /var/log/ipfw/ipfw.log 600  10    *    $W0D2 Z
>
> I keep getting this message emailed to me. I don't have any entries
> in crontab or syslog. Anybody know what this is and how do I get rid
> of it?

You sure you don't have a line like this in /etc/crontab?

0       *       *       *       *       root    newsyslog

It looks like newsyslog is having problems parsing that $W0D2 value,
but it works okay for me.  Possibly the timezone you are in has a DST
switch that skips directly from 1:59 to 3:00 next Sunday, which means
there is no 2:00, which is why newsyslog is complaining.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com