How to clear userland?

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 06:49:31 UTC 2006

On 3/28/06, Graham North <northg at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Is there a nice tidy way to clear my userland - CLEAN without
> jeopardizing or reloading the OS?

pkg_delete -a
should get rid of anything not in the base system.
alternately, deleting /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 will
remove it pretty quickly, as well.  though one would
have to check for things started in /etc/rc.conf

Unlike certain operating systems, the bloat doesn't
do much except take up drive space if you're not
actually running the stuff in the bloat.

Make the locate database build a tiny bit slower,
I suppose.

rock the bloat/don't rock the bloat

You can rebuild the base system from scratch by
following the whole cvsup, buildworld, kernel
business.  Note what can be not installed in
/etc/make.conf (I think you still have a partial
reference living in /etc/defaults/make.conf on 4.11,
though I may have forgotten.)