Why are so many people using 4.x?

Tom Grove freebsd at voidmain.net
Tue Mar 28 21:15:28 UTC 2006

Joseph Vella wrote:

>I notice a lot of references to version 4.x.  Is there any overwhelming reason
>why its use seems to be still popular.  I'm wanting to set up a server (just
>for play) on my home network using a PII machine.  Am I better off using an
>older version for such old equipment?  If so, do any particular versions
>stand out?

I would certainly recommend going with 6.x.  The reason that many of our
servers still run 4.x is that 5.x got a bad reputation and there really
is no upgrade path from 4.x to 6.x.  5 and 6 default to using UFS2 and 4
uses UFS so, IMHO it's better to rebuild and taking a few hundred users
offline for a couple of hours whilst this happens isn't fun.

That's my scenario...I'm sure others have totally different reasons.

-Tom