Why are so many people using 4.x?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Mar 28 20:58:43 UTC 2006

Joseph Vella wrote:
> I notice a lot of references to version 4.x.  Is there any overwhelming reason
> why its use seems to be still popular.  I'm wanting to set up a server (just
> for play) on my home network using a PII machine.  Am I better off using an
> older version for such old equipment?  If so, do any particular versions
> stand out?

If I had my choice I would use 4.10 instead of 5.X. No real bias against
the changes or decisions made in 5.X, and I don't want to start an
argument. But my 4.x servers just run, and run, and run. I've never had
to ask a question or had any issues when patching or installing
software/hardware on my 4.X servers. 4.X just seems more stable and more
mature to me, which is what attracted me to FreeBSD 7 odd years ago.

If you want to *learn* FreeBSD I would recommend 4.X as there is lots of
information, forum data, HowTo, example information already out there.

On the flip side, I've never needed any of the features provided by 5.X
over 4.X. If I needed jails, or ACL, max performance, or bleeding edge
hardware support, I am sure my opinion would be different. So my opinion
is just that, my opinion.

DAve

--
This message was checked by forty monkeys and
found to not contain any SPAM whatsoever.

Your monkeys may vary