virtusertable blocking seems to have no effect

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Mar 28 19:51:31 UTC 2006

Hi!

I host a domain with a handful of "real" addresses. I noticed, that spammers are using a variety of random-generated names @mydomain and wish to block such addresses with "No spam" responses instead of "User unknown".

Here is (almost) what I have in the virtusertable:

	stol at example.com  foo
	hq at example.com    bar
	@example.com      error:5.7.0:550 No spam, thanks

I can see the "No spam,thanks" messages logged in the maillog (without the space after coma, for some reason), but there is no reject=550 message logged (which interferes with my other software) and some of these messages seem to pass through (although others are intercepted by other anti-spam defenses).

For example, here are the only two log entries, that a spam message generates:

Mar 28 13:45:58 corbulon sendmail[40026]: k2SIjvvb040026: <xgfytxswpcpc at blackalpinist.com>... No spam,thanks
Mar 28 13:45:58 corbulon sendmail[40026]: k2SIjvvb040026: from=<example at example.net>, size=3305, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=example.example.net [xx.x.xx.xxx]

Despite the "No spam,thanks" the message was accepted.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

	-mi