Restricted SFTP access to server for one user

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Tue Mar 28 11:16:59 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 10:36, Martin Hudec wrote:
> Hello Ashley,
>
> Ashley Moran wrote:
> > I don't want to install an FTP program, and we
> > don't use password authentication for SSH, so I'm going to tell him to
> > create a key pair and send us his public key.
>
> Maybe for the client, it would be better to use also password based
> authentication, ask him - he is the client and he should define what he
> wants.

Hi Martin,

We shouldn't really be hosting his site (it turned out his ISP doesn't offer
PHP), and I don't think he's paying anything for this, so he gets what we
give :D

> > I can remove his login shell, but how do I restrict him to only view his
> > home directory over SFTP?
>
> I think that shells/scponly should have chroot ability for their users.

I'm looking at shells/rssh, which appears to be the most popular way to give
restricted sftp access.  But I'm not having much luck with the chroot.  I
might try scponly if I don't get anywhere.

Ashley