Realtek 8201 driver?

Pete Slagle freebsd-questions at voidcaptain.com
Tue Mar 28 07:13:08 UTC 2006

Short version:

Does anyone have an ASUS P5RD1-VM on-board NIC or the Realtek 8201 chip
working with 6-stable?  If so, which driver did you use?

Details:

I needed another quick and cheap box, so the other day I bought a ASUS
P5RD1-VM motherboard on sale for almost nothing and booted up the
6.0-RELEASE CD. (I'll upgrade it to stable when I get the network
interface working.)

There is a built-in NIC which is apparently a Realtek RTL8201CL PHY,
although `pciconf -lv` says Acer Labs perpetrated it. In either case,
it's not listed on the hardware compatibility list and it isn't found at
boot time by a GENERIC kernel:

    pci0: <network, ethernet> at 27.0 (no driver attached)

The link light is on and the BIOS assigns it an IRQ so it does seem to
be enabled and working at the firmware level.

I googled around for quite awhile and found a lot of questions about the
8201, but no answers and no indication that there is a FreeBSD driver
for it.

So, does anyone have any pointers about which, if any, driver might work
with this motherboard's built-in ethernet interface?