Mail service principles: can I have the second mailbox

Beech Rintoul beech at mangohealth.org
Tue Mar 28 05:19:54 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 March 2006 19:20, User Elisej wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:47:43PM -0600, Kelly D. Grills wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:28:55AM +0300, User Elisej wrote:
> > > Yes, sir, I will provide any information you need.
> >
> > I could be a maam, you never can tell ;=)
> >
> > > I want to have two mailboxes with two addresses (for one account)
> > > on my computer. These different mailboxes I mean to use for different
> > > sources of incoming mail. So I need two real mailboxes, not two aliases
> > > for one mailbox. Then I can give my different address to different
> > > senders.
> > >
> > > Although, I can make all mail going to one address and then filter
> > > incoming mail, I think it is a wrong way, because of superfluous
> > > action.
> >
> > Well, there goes my plan. I'd think an alias along with a procmail recipe
> > to filter into separate mbox's would be a simple and effective solution.
> > Not sure what you mean by "superfluous action".
>
> I mean merging two mail flows together (the first and simple step) and
> subsequent separation the same flows by filtering (the second and
> complicated step)
>
> > > One mailbox I have since account creation. Its address is account name.
> > > The sendmail sends a mail to this address to /var/mail/account_name.
> > > How to make the second mailbox?
> > >
> > > I have installed FreeBSD 6.0 and Sendmail 8.13.5.
> >
> > I run Qmail. Hopefully someone with Sendmail knowledge will chime in
> > and provide the assistance you need.

You can use procmail to forward mail to a second mailbox based on the "To"
field. Here's a good tutorial to get you started:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~ian/procmail.html

here's another:

http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/unix/procmail.html

And finally, here's the procmail doc project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm-doc

Hope you find this useful.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at mangohealth.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Mangohealth
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - XanGo - http://www.mangohealth.org