Fwd: package vs ports question

Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont legvalmont at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 12:57:50 UTC 2006

Thanks for the answer. I just hope I'm not messing things too much.

So if a port may override a package, is the only solution to this
generate a package then install it? Now if this happens, what will
happen for example (supposing I install everything from packages - or
"make package" then pkg_add for that matter) when I install Adobe
Acrobat? Are all its dependancies going to be installed as well? I
mean, ports doesn't "know" which packages were installed by pkg_add,
which is how I suppose those packages are installed. Sorry if I cannot
make myself clear enough, but there's still the fog that blinds
newbies like me. :)

Is it possible to generate packages for all the dependancies? Does
"make package" do this for all packages for which a package can be
created? I hope I won't need to reinstall them but you know... you
never know. :)

Thanks again...