What's that filesystem for a usb flash drive?

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sun Mar 26 03:39:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Chris Hill wrote:

[Replying to myself...]

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Saul Mena Avila wrote:
>
>> Hello!. I've been trying to mount my flash memory but it just doesn't let
>> me.
>> I use (as root):
>>
>> mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad0 /flash
>>
>> The feedback is something like "device ad0 doesn't allow action" Can
>> anybody help me?
>
> Are you sure that /dev/ad0 is actually your flash device? That doesn't look
> right to me. What is the physical interface to your flash memory? That is, is
> it USB, a PCMCIA card, or what?

Sorry, I'd already forgotten that the subject line said USB. Given USB,
it will be seen by the system as a SCSI device. I think you would have
to add "device atapicam" to your kernel config, but not sure about that.

Anyway, here's what I did in a similar situation: watch the console
while you plug in the USB device. The system should recognize the device
and tell you right there what the name is. My USB camera showed up as
da0s1, and I'm able to mount and umount it all day.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]