Dump to DVD problem.

Scott Ballantyne sdb at ssr.com
Sat Mar 25 21:00:45 UTC 2006

I am trying to use dump/restore to backup my filesystems to DVD.  I am
using a DVD+RW, format it with dvd+rw-format -force /dev/cd0, and then do:

dump -0 -b 32 -B 4590208 -f /dev/cd0 /

to backup the root filesystem. I do this after going to single user
mode.

It seems that dump is perhaps not properly closing the file? The DVD
drive light remains on, and I get errors from restore:

tape read error: Unknown error: 0

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd0 is more informative:

/dev/cd0: unable to open: Device busy

I *can* dump to a file on a filesystem, and use growisofs to write
this dump file to the DVD. No problems mounting and reading the
resulting dump file. Unfortunately, I do not have enough free disk
space to do this with my larger file systems.

This is with 5.3-RELEASE.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

sdb
sdb at ssr.com