Australian C'wealth Games Daylight Saving Time extension

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Mar 25 19:13:57 UTC 2006

Not a question, but one answer for anyone else caught by the change to
the end of Daylight Saving Time in Australia a few hours ago, who hadn't
updated their /usr/share/zoneinfo/ data since, um, Feb 21st or so.

Yes, I was surprised to notice the clock move back an hour tonight, on
my 4.5-R laptop and a (yep!) 2.2.6 system I look after, not having heard
any usual reminders on TV/radio about DST changes.  Some googling found:

 http://wpram.com/log/2006/03/04/commonwealth-games-daylight-saving/

which clear procedure I followed to the letter.  All better now.

Step 6 "FreeBSD users only: copy /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney to
/etc/localtime" wasn't appropriate on 4.5 and presumably? later systems,
/etc/localtime being a symlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney
here anyway .. but it was the right advice for the old 2.2.6 beastie.

cheers, Ian