[OT] What's in a name? FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #1

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sat Mar 25 04:28:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Duane Whitty wrote:

> I recently built 6-STABLE and I was wondering what
> the #0 and #1 refer to in the uname
>
> FreeBSD dwpc.dwlabs.ca 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #1: Fri
> Mar 24 19:34:58 AST 2006
> root at dwpc.dwlabs.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DWPC-200603230410 i386

I think that refers to the number of times you've (re)built the kernel.
So a fresh install will be #0, but it looks like you've changed your
configuration and rebuilt the kernel once since then.

FreeBSD seems to need far less kernel config tinkering now than it used
to. I recall doing a lot of kernel builds back in the 2.2.x days just to
make my hardware useable (or maybe I was dinking with it "just
because"). Anyway, the # number would increment with each kernel
build/install.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]